Teeth Whitening With Laser
Slogan of modern people in today’s world is to have a “better appearance.” People meant better physical look when they talk about better appearance and this means well-cared hair, well-cared skin and well-cared teeth.
There should be no stains on teeth and they should have white and shiny appearance in order to have a well-cared teeth look. Of course, gingival health should be provided, too but it is a whole different issue. Some teeth are yellow or have stains from the birth. In the past, it was a destiny but today it is possible to solve stain and yellow color problem by using different whitening methods. Your teeth may look whiter with these different whitening methods and techniques. Here in this article, I would like to give general information about teeth whitening with laser which is one of these methods.
FIRST OF ALL, LET’S FOCUS ON WHO CAN GET THEIR TEETH WHITENED?
1- Those whose teeth get yellower in time. People who used to have white teeth when younger but they had a yellowish look in time. No matter how well they took care of their dental health, these persons’ teeth looks yellowish as enamel layer gets thinner and the dentin layer underneath which gives its color to the teeth becomes more apparent.
2- Some types of antibiotics should not be consumed by children under 12 years old. These are the tetracycline group of antibiotics. These antibiotics cause yellowish or even brownish stains on teeth. These can be solved by whitening methods if these stains are not too intensive. 3- In case of discoloring of teeth known as fluorosis.
4- Those who have yellow teeth from birth (for example, some people have yellow hair and some have dark hair from birth). Color of teeth varies from person to person. Especially, teeth of people with fair skin may appear more yellowish.
5- If you want your aesthetic teeth restoration to be whiter, then your other lower teeth should be whitened, too.
6-Teeth which are damaged due to root channel therapy or due to a trauma, become purple, whitening methods can be implemented for these patients.
7- Inflammatory diseases occurred before the completion of teeth development may cause color changes and yellowish teeth. These people can receive teeth whitening treatment.
WHO CANNOT GET TEETH WHITENING?
- 1- People under 18 years old
- 2- Pregnant women
- 3- Those who consumes too much tea and cigarettes and those who do not limit these habits during the treatment
- 4- Those who are allergic to the solution used during the procedure
- 5- If the root of the teeth is open as a result of cracked, broken teeth or gingival recession
- 6- Those who have porcelain and composite veneer restorations
TEETH WHITENING PROCESS
First of all, doctor should examine the teeth structure and decide if the patient is suitable for this treatment. If the patient is suitable for whitening treatment, then photos of the teeth should be taken. First state of the color of the teeth is recorded. If discoloration is intense and stubborn, then domestic whitening should be implemented, too.
Before the laser teeth whitening;
- Use toothpaste that does not contain flour while brushing your teeth (before coming to the session).
- Teeth should be cleaned with pumice. (At the beginning of whitening session)
- Gums and lips should be taken under protection with special protectors.
- Apply whitening gel-paste and the laser is activated for 30 seconds for every part. This activation period may vary according to the equipment and gel.
- After the session, protective gel and protective barriers are removed. Domestic whitening may continue, if required.
- If your are not going to continue domestic whitening, then you should certainly avoid consuming tea, coffee and smoking which may cause discoloration for 24 hours.
WHAT IS THE DURATION OF LASER TEETH WHITENING?
This period varies from person to person. Generally it lasts for 2-3 years. The amount of tea and coffee consumption and oral dental care during this period are very important. If you watch your tea and coffee consumption and be careful about your oral care, it can last longer. Otherwise, this period can be shorter. Duration can be longer if the patient uses teeth whitening products under the recommendation of the doctor.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
DOES LASER TEETH WHITENING HARIM TEETH?
Like all other whitening methods, suitable indications are considered and does not cause any harm if personal time and drug adjustments are made for the patient.
DESPITE OBEYING ALL CONDITIONS, MY TOOTH ACHED FOR A DAY AFTER THE WHITENING SESSION. IS IT NORMAL?
It is normal to feel short term teeth sensitivity after the application of all kinds of whitening methods. Desensitizing paste will help to decrease sensitivity. Do not worry. Sensitivity feeling will pass in 24 hours’ time.
WHEN CAN I CONSUME STAINERS SUCH AS TEA AND COFFEE AFTER THE WHITENING?
Whitening process continues for another 24 hours after the completion of whitening procedure. Due to this reason, strainers like tea and coffee should not be consumed during this period.