Although there are many ways to cope with stress in today’s stressful world, teeth clenching has increased day by day. Some of our patients are aware of this. But people who do not listen to themselves are trying to cope with the complaints that my filling is broken, my teeth are aching or my jaw hurts. For this reason, when their teeth are broken or when the implant crown is removed or broken, they may have the wrong thoughts such as “Doctor, this tooth you made is broken or I cannot have this crown”.
WHAT IS BRUXISM?
It is the habit of clenching or grinding some or all of the teeth during the night.
HOW DOES A PERSON RECOGNIZE BRUXISM ON THEIR OWN?
- Do you feel pain in the facial muscles when you get up in the morning?
- When you first open your mouth in the morning, does your mouth open with your force, like a vice?
- Do you have pain in your temples and fatigue in your face?
- Have you recently experienced tooth sensitivity or glare?
- Do your veneers come off on their own?
- Do you experience sensitivity, fracture, abrasion on your front teeth?
If you have one or more of these, you probably have the habit of grinding or clenching your teeth.
WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF BOTULINUM TOXIN APPLICATION FOR BRUXISM?
It is the method of applying botulinum toxin into the muscle. Botulinum toxin, which is also applied to facial muscles, is generally used to eliminate facial lines. It creates temporary relaxation on the masseter muscle by creating a relaxation effect in the muscles. The application to the masseter muscle is effective for 3-6 months. Relaxation begins 3-5 days after application. In 10-12 days, the effect period is completed and the muscle moves loosely.
WHAT SHOULD I PAY ATTENTION TO BEFORE THE APPLICATION?
- If you are at risk of pregnancy, inform your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Are you prone to bleeding? If so, be sure to tell your doctor about the medications you use.
- Take care not to wear make-up while coming to the application.
- Inform your physician if you have any infectious diseases.
- Be sure to inform your physician and assistant about your allergies.
- Inform your physician if you are using antibiotics and muscle relaxants during botulinum toxin application.
- Warn your physician about when and where Botulinum toxin application has been performed before.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS AFTER BOTULINUM TOXIN APPLICATION
- Headache, nausea and fatigue may occur,
- Bruising may occur,
- Eyelid and/or eyebrow drooping may occur,
- There may be double vision,
- There may be redness and/or pain,
- Swelling and/or muscle twitching may occur,
- Please inform your doctor in case of allergic reactions (anaphylaxis, urticaria, shortness of breath), upper respiratory tract infections and colds.
WHAT SHOULD I PAY ATTENTION TO WHEN COMING TO THE APPLICATION?
- Please come well rested.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages before the application.
- Drugs that should be discontinued at least 3 days before; ginko biloba, blood thinners, green tea, aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (rheumatic) drugs.
WHAT SHOULD I PAY ATTENTION TO AFTER THE APPLICATION?
- We advise you to avoid pregnancy or use an effective contraceptive.
- Avoid breastfeeding.
- Do not lie down or bend forward or down for at least 4 hours after the application.
- Do not massage the application area for at least 1 week.
- Please consult your physician if you need to use muscle relaxants and/or antibiotics.
- If you experience an unexpected effect, please call our clinic and inform your practitioner.
SMILE FOR LIFE!